Sunday, February 8, 2009

Litter Part 3


As I mentioned in an earlier post, we live in a county without weekly garbage pickup. In lieu of pickup, the county provides us with dumpsters at various places throughout the county. And after moving here, I was horrified to learn how some people use these dumpsters. They abandon their pets there! We have the Humane Society in the city and the animal shelter in the county; both places allow drop offs of animals that can no longer be cared for by their owners. Why someone would desert their pet at a roadside dumpster where they may wander into oncoming traffic or starve to death rather than drop them off at a safe shelter is beyond me. I hate those people. At one time, we allowed the county to place a dumpster on our property but removed it due to abuse by residents - dumping trash on the ground; using it for non-household rubbish; dumping deer carcasses behind it; etc. Prior to the removal, we inherited 3 animals that must have been dumped there - a hunting dog who doesn't hunt well; a kitten; and a mother cat with her litter (we found homes for her babies). We know the mother cat had been a pet because she was wearing a pink collar. Since we eliminated the dumpster, we haven't seen any stray animals. In my first post on litter, I mentioned my belief in various circles of hell - I believe one of the worst is reserved for the people who treat their animals as trash.

2 comments:

Tea Rose said...

LOL - I wholeheartedly agree with your theory on the circle of hell reserved for animal abusers. How lucky these animals were to be dumped near you all and not somewhere else! Much to my husband's dismay, we have housed many a stray on their way to new homes as well.

Lastly, can I just say...I simply cannot wait to read someday about your adventures in caring for feral cats. :-)

Cherie said...

I feel blessed to have these animals in my life. My husband has gotten used to my rescuing ways and even encourages me now!