Saturday, February 28, 2009

Days 3 and 4

As I begin day 4 of my news fast, I am beginning to realize how much time I actually spent watching the news. Certain times of the day I start to crave the input - it's like there is a hole in my life. That said, I also see that I feel better without the constant bombardment of negativity. Yesterday I ran into a friend at the grocery store. As we stood in the aisle chatting, she mentioned something that has been in the news lately. I found my body reacting to the discussion - my muscles became tense, my stomach started knotting. It was an "aha" moment - by watching the news I was probably damaging my body. Practicing yoga, eating natural and organic foods, and avoiding chemical products was being counteracted by the negative emotions generated by the media. I'm starting to think that by clearing my mind of negativity I will reap physical benefits. My wish is that having a clear mind also will make room for positive ideas and gestures that will in some small way make the world around me a better place.

No comments: