Monday, February 2, 2009

Groundhog Day

This morning I watched the news as Punxsutawney Phil betrayed me and saw his shadow - 6 more weeks of winter weather. As someone who has lived most of her life below the palm tree line, this was not good news. That said, having become a farmer, I do appreciate winter. In winter, nothing grows and you can catch your breath and catch up on reading and other activities. I remember the first year I told hubby that, as crazy as it sounded, I was looking forward to winter. Had I lost my mind? Yes, not because I actually like cold weather, but I was starting to detest green beans. We had row upon row of green beans. I picked them; cooked them; froze them; gave them away; even fed them to our pigs on a couple of occasions. There seemed to be no end in sight; then I remembered, we get winter here! Yay! So, even though I will continue to hunker down in the house as often as possible, I am kind of glad that I won't see anything green (that requires picking) for a while longer.

No comments: