Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Addiction

Ok, now I have to admit it; I'm an addict. I am addicted to caffeine. This morning I had an appointment to get a thermoscan. This procedure is an alternative to a mammogram. I really don't like the idea of having radiation shot through my body on an annual basis, no matter how minute the amount. So, after consulting with my ob/gyn, I decided on the thermoscan. There's a long list of "not-to-do's" prior to the scan. One of them is NO CAFFEINE for at least 4 hours prior to the procedure! Since my appointment was in the morning, and in another city, I could not have any iced tea until afterwards; my blinding headache began at 9:00. The scan itself was not too bad. The tech had me cool down in a very chilly room for 15 minutes, she took 3 shots, had me plunge my hands into a tub of ice cold water for 1 minute, then took 3 more shots. That was it The whole thing took less than 30 minutes. Afterwards, I made a mad dash to that coffee franchise which shall remain nameless (but is right around the corner from my doctor's office) and got 2 iced teas to go. By the time got home, the headache was just a memory. But this was a lesson for me; maybe I ought to back off the iced tea, or at least start drinking decaf.

No comments: