Saturday, March 3, 2012

Catch Up

Blogging has become a bit more difficult for me this past week since I'm finishing up my next-to-the-last class for my master's degree.  Writing a research paper takes away time I could otherwise spend blogging.  If all goes as planned, I'll be finished in May.  Then I need to make some decisions as to what direction my career is going to take, whether it be working in a paid position, finding the right volunteer job to match my skills and interests, a combination of both, or something altogether different. 


Bill (the farmer) and Joey (the guard dog)

I've been meaning to do an update or two on the goings on at the farm, including some photos, but I haven't made that happen yet.  We're up to over 50 goats - and more babies on the way.  This year, with my husband in retirement from his first career, we're doing a very small CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) where individuals buy shares of food from our farm and we deliver it to them on a weekly basis during the growing season.  My contribution will be to grow some herbs to supplement the vegetables and eggs that will be in the food bags.  My husband is also working on getting our website up and running again.  We do have a facebook page (White Flint Farm), so you can go "like" it whenever you have the chance. 


I've gotten very involved with a local ministry that works with people who are homeless, as well as people who have been homeless or are at risk of being homeless.  I'm starting to make some of the lunches that are distributed to friends in need in the downtown area.  Some of our members go out about three times a week, distributing the lunches and just spending time with people who need some TLC.  One thing our group does is a potluck dinner on Thursday nights at the home of a local pastor (who will soon be leaving his church go work full time on the ministry), plus we have a book or Bible study immediately following dinner.  Right now we're reading The Secret Message of Jesus by Brian McLaren.  It's refreshing to be able to have the kinds of conversations we have without being told I am rebelling against God, condemning myself to hell, or that I'm not the *right kind* of Christian.  I don't have to bite my tongue all the time.  Very refreshing.  The only other place I feel this way is in my women's interfaith group.  There we can also have frank conversations.  No one is trying to convert another; we're just trying to understand one another.  There are no *right* answers, only conversation.  As one member described us, we're a community.  Very refreshing.


That's all the catch up time I have.  Hope your weekend is wonderful!

No comments: