Sunday, January 1, 2012

A Year in Review

Hourglass 7
Source

It's hard to believe 2011 is over and 2012 is here!  So much has happened this past year that I had to go over past blog entries to help refresh my memory.  Here are some highlights of my year:
  • visited Haiti and saw old friends and made new ones
  • began my second year in my volunteer job for Danita's Children
  • went vegan for 21 days
  • began a cookbook project for low income families [close to completion]
  • completed 4 grad school classes
  • started shopping more consciously - no bananas due to environmental degradation; fair trade chocolate, coffee, and tea due to child slavery
  • worked on the CROP walk for the first time
  • got involved with Grace and Main, a great homeless ministry
  • hosted two of the children from the His Little Feet Children's Choir Haitian group when they were in town
  • Bill retired from the practice of law
  • finished reading the Bible in a year
  • worked on ways to refuse/reduce/reuse/recycle
  • continued my "use it up" quest to use what I already have before buying replacements for food, cosmetics, etc.
  • successfully completed a 3-month no shopping challenge
  • attended Wild Goose Festival where I got to see a lot of progressive/liberal Christians - some heroes of mine, such as Jim Wallis and Brian McClaren, and some new to me, such as John Dear, Jay Bakker, Nadia Bolz-Weber, and Jennifer Knapp
  • saw Sister Helen Prejean (of Dead Man Walking fame) speak
  • saw student production of Dead Man Walking and heard a first-hand account of a man sentenced to death for a crime he didn't commit (he was since exonorated)
A very busy and fulfilling year.  Can't wait to see what 2012 has in store!

Wishing everyone a very Happy New Year,

No comments: