Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Wellness Wednesday

This article from the New York Times was a real eye opener for me.  Although I was aware that a common serving size mentioned in the nutritional information box on prepacked foods is rarely realistic - I mean, how many people actually only eat three Oreos?  And the amount of sodium in some prepackaged foods is scary when the typical consumption rate is taken into account.  However, what shocked me was the "serving size" for cooking sprays.  In order to get the zero-calorie/zero-fat serving size, one must spray for a third of a second.  I'm sure when I spray a pan, I spray for far more than that.  The article points out that about six seconds is more reasonable and that gives you 50 calories and six grams of fat!  
Misto Olive Oil Sprayer
Source
I don't know about you, but I prefer using the real deal since we don't really know what is in those cooking sprays.  One alternative to cooking spray is to purchase an oil spray bottle, such as those sold by Misto, and fill with your own cooking oil.

No comments: