Monday, March 16, 2009

Why I Don't Belong

Once upon a time, I belonged to the Sierra Club. John Muir has been a hero of mine since childhood and I believed the club shared my values. But that was before the *mailings* started. Even though the Club had my email address, they would mail packages for me to take action on various political topics. It would have been very easy to email the information. When membership renewal was, say, six months out, I would get a notice. That would be followed by another, and another.... Then I was asked to belong to the John Muir Society (for a small...actually large...donation). Said invitations (yes, there were multiple requests) arrived in large envelopes with colorful brochures and self-stamped envelopes. They made it appear as if I was joining some exclusive organization, like a members-only country club. It was as if the scales fell from my eyes and I thought, "How can a so-called environmental organization WASTE so much paper and money?!!!" A friend had warned me, commented about the values of the organization, but I just couldn't see how it was possible. I haven't been a member in over a year and yet I still get mailings. Don't get me started on the phone calls...

2 comments:

Lisa said...

My mom told me about this blog (I'm so behind in my blog reading haha.), I agree! I'm not happy with them for endorsing Green Works!

Cherie said...

I agree with you on the Green Works! I try to support companies that were green from the beginning.