Monday, March 2, 2009

Life's Little Turns

Yesterday, as I was perusing Facebook, I saw that a friend posted a link to a blog I had discovered a while back but never got around to finishing the archives. Since it was a snow day - daughter was off sledding with friends and hubby was holed up in his home office - I decided it was the perfect time to catch up. As the day wore on, I found myself glued to my computer - I told hubby it was Wanda's fault. The blog, www.thepioneerwoman.com, reminded me of so many unexpected turns my life has taken. Recently, one of our goats gave birth in the wee hours of the morning. Around 2 a.m. my son and I finished up with the various tasks associated with goat birth. As we sat down on the straw covered floor of the barn stall, I looked at my 19 year old son and thought about where I was when I was his age. As a native Southern California girl, I never in my life would have envisioned myself in that situation. At 19, I was busy working in an office and pursuing a degree in business. Rural life was nowhere in the picture. But there I was, sitting in a freezing cold barn in Southside Virginia, covered with all manner of *organic* material, filling my role as farmer/farmer's wife. As the old joke goes, "Do you know how to make God laugh? Make plans."

No comments: