Friday, March 20, 2009

It's Over

Life has been a bit hectic for me lately. Our son was home from college for spring break, I spent a few days in Florida, and then I took my daughter and two of her friends on a college road trip. Phew! I'm completely exhausted today.

Said daughter applied to four colleges and we revisited two of them this week. The results are in: she was accepted into all four so is able to attend her top choice, the school we visited yesterday. It's a bittersweet feeling knowing your youngest child will be leaving home soon. It's a great feeling that we were able to home school her all the way to the college of her choice but it will leave a hole in our lives. I hate to see her and her friends move on to new stages in their lives: some will go to community college, some will go away to school, and some will be entering the work force. Unlike when I was a young adult, they do have the technology to keep in touch - what with myspace, facebook, email, texting.... But still, it won't be the same.

As for me, I'm entering a new stage in my life and I need to decide what I want to be when I grow up. Of course, I'll still have the farm and all the animals to care for, but I feel a need to do more. I'm trying to decide if I should go back to school, expand my volunteering, or reenter the workforce. I've found an online masters program that looks interesting to me but I'm nervous about all the papers I'll have to write. There are plenty of volunteer opportunities in this area so that is definitely an option. As far as immediately entering the work force, I would probably have to commute to Greensboro, which is about an hour from our farm. A lot to think about.

1 comment:

mamasong said...

How exciting to have a new chapter of life opening up for you! I have three little ones at home (ages 4, 6 and 7) and we are just beginning our homelearning journey. Best wishes to you in whatever endeavors you undertake!