Thursday, May 13, 2010

R.I.P. Layla

Another sad morning on White Flint Farm as we had to euthanize one of our goats.  Layla had been down for over a week and, while initially improving, she showed no signs of healing.  There were several problems that we could not overcome - she couldn't stand, she was pregnant, she had difficulty eating, and she had some neurological damage.  Yesterday I saw signs that she was going to go into labor soon but this morning nothing had changed.  Late this morning I did an exam and determined that she had been in labor all along but just didn't have enough strength to deliver the stillborn baby.   


Farm life is hard - it has joys and sorrows.  The worst part for me is the animal deaths; I'll never get used to it.  I see my animals as individuals - they each have their own special personality.   Layla was a very shy but extremely sweet and gentle goat.  Earlier this year she had an upper respiratory infection that I treated and we bonded over that.  She will be greatly missed.


Although we lost Layla, we did gain Prudence, Rhiannon's baby.  The circle of life continues on White Flint.


No comments: