Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Wellness Wednesday

Although we treat it as a noun, health is a verb.  Health doesn't exist as a thing, rather as a reflection of lifestyle.  What we do, eat, drink, and breathe has consequences for our health.  We be proactive and do what we know supports our bodies or we can be passive and indulge in habits that cause harm.  

Nutrition / Trans Fat Panel
Source
One important way to ensure healthful living is to read labels - and to know what those labels mean.  A good example is a prepackaged food I recently purchased:  dry roasted peanuts.  You would assume that this would be a pretty healthy snack.  However, I was surprised when I actually read the label one day when my husband and I were snacking on them.  I had naively thought that dry roasted peanuts would have two ingredients:  peanuts and salt - but I was wrong.  There were several other ingredients on the label and the one that really stood out for me was MSG.  I was stunned.  Needless to say, I won't be buying that particular brand anymore AND I am much more careful about reading labels - no assumptions anymore.

As you go about your day, keep in mind that health is not some static attribute - like having brown eyes - but is a fluid condition that you can influence through your lifestyle choices.

No comments: