Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Decisions Decisions

Since I recently resigned from my position directing the missions program for Danita's Children, I've been looking into nonprofit jobs in my "area" (area meaning within about an hour's drive from my home).  As I searched various job boards and websites, and also put the word out among friends and acquaintances, I had this feeling deep down inside that I wasn't doing the right thing.  So yesterday I made a decision that I shared with my husband.  As scary as it is, I'm going to put my job search on hold until January 2015 and instead focus on building our farm business and broadening my homesteading knowledge base, or what Wendy Jehanara Tremayne calls "mad skills."

It's scary because as one ages, especially a woman, it becomes increasingly difficult to find meaningful employment.  Also, the longer one goes without a "real" job, the harder it is to find one.  However, I also know that the work we're doing here is important, both farming using organically and living sustainably.  By making and doing more for yourself and within your community and only purchasing necessities (with small treats here and there), you have less need for outside employment.  

When January rolls around, after 2 1/2 years of full-time farming and homesteading, we will be in a better position to evaluate whether or not outside employment makes sense for me - or both of us.  In the meantime, I'm stepping back from most of my philanthropic work (paid and unpaid) and stepping up to sharpen my homesteading and family business skills.

1 comment:

Deanna said...

I wish you well and look forward to reading about your activities on the farm.