Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Wellness Wednesday

Last year I discovered a great alternative to lettuce and other raw greens that I had to purchase from the grocery store when the weather turned cold - sprouts!  I love growing sprouts and shoots in my kitchen.  I highly recommend these little greens as an inexpensive way to get healthy food.  This article lists the following 10 reasons spouts are great:

  • More enzymes than raw fruits and vegetables
  • High quality protein
  • High fiber content
  • Increased vitamin content
  • Increased atty acid content
  • Higher availability of minerals
  • Locally grown organic food with a low environmental impact
  • Energy of the seed/nut/grain/legume is released
  • Alkalizing to the body
  • Inexpensive source of food

Want to start sprouting but not sure how to begin?  Start small, with mung beans, and then branch out with other beans, grains, or seeds.  Check out some videos on YouTube to get some ideas..  

1 comment:

Shona~ LALA dex press said...

Kroger in my area (I'm not sure if it's across the board) don't carry sprouts because "sprouts have been tied to numerous large-scale outbreaks of food poisoning in the past few years, he explained, and it is difficult to ensure the safety of any given batch of sprouts."

The explanation from an employee in the produce section at my local Kroger was that a couple people got sick from not washing their sprouts and something about the water used.

Another reason to grow your own food!