Thursday, December 27, 2012

Magazines

Magazines
Source
I weaned myself off of magazines some time ago but somehow I ended up with a "subscription" to a ladies magazine.  I've gotten renewal notices stating that my subscription will stop if I don't pay.  Since I didn't subscribe in the first place, I'm not heartbroken over it.  Today I got an issue with a cover that said "Last Issue."  Thank goodness.

Since the magazine was free and it's in my house, I thought I'd leaf through it before banishing it to the recycling bin.  The cover promised "New Tips to Save $4,600 This Year" and the magazine tagline is "This Magazine Pays for Itself."   As I browsed the first few pages, I saw coupon after coupon for products I don't need and don't use.  So I question how this magazine would save me money if I actually used the proffered coupons.

Another thing that amused me was that the inside flap had an advertisement that contained a recipe for "S'More Cupcakes in Jelly Jars" that contained a variety of chemical-laced "food" products such as marshmallow creme, Cool Whip frosting, and instant pudding."  One page later and there was an ad for two varieties of detox teas.  Well, if you're going to make the cupcakes, you'll definitely need to detox.  

The magazine (and I know many others do, as well) alternates between articles telling you how to save money and declutter while at the same time pushing products (both in their articles and in their advertising) that would cost you money and clutter up your house.  No wonder so many of us feel stress.  I advise that you step away from that magazine rack and just say "no."  Good for your pocketbook (just the cost of the advertisements, er...I mean magazines, alone is high) and good for your sanity.

1 comment:

Deanna said...

I used to read a lot of magazines but I've pretty much given them up. I sometimes pick up one in the airport to read on the plane but for the most part I've broken the habit. Somehow they just no longer suit my lifestyle.