Make sure your vehicle is in good shape, gassed up, and prepared for the weather you will encounter (Visit Consumer Reports for more details.)
Additionally, be a defensive driver. This website has excellent tips. Highlights include:
- Minimize distractions.
- Use "high eyes" driving, that be aware of the bid picture and focus beyond just the driver ahead of you.
- Minimize lane changes.
- Spot and avoid fast lane changers and "blind" lane changers.
- Don't make eye contact with other drivers as this is often associated with road rage.
- Look both ways at intersections, even when the light is green.
- Know when and how to swerve.
- Get away from bad drivers.
- Don't follow too closely.
Have a safe holiday.