Thursday, July 1, 2010

Media Drop Out

After my media fast during Lent of 2009, I went back to following the news on television and on the internet.  Fortunately, my fast helped me break my obsession so I didn't spend as much time on the news.  Recently, I realized I haven't turned on the news in weeks and I don't feel like I'm missing anything.  I'm not copping out and saying that I can't do anything about the tragedies and problems of the world.  What I'm doing is being selective.  


Earlier this week, hubby and I were guests at a regional Rotary Club meeting (we were there representing Danita's Children).  The guest speaker was Tracy Fitzsimmons, the president of Shenandoah University in Winchester,  Virginia.  At one point, she addressed the issue of being an effective citizen.  She pointed out how the Rotary Club has been focused on eradicating polio in the world.  The organization has stuck to their goal and now there are only three - three! - countries where polio is still found.  Although Rotarians participate in a variety of projects, this particular one has had their intense focus and they are now about to see their goal realized.  By keeping their eyes on the prize, they have made a difference in the world.  


There are a number of issues that I'm passionate about - and watching or reading the news really gets my dander up sometimes - but keeping my blinders on at times allows me to focus on one or two things where I can make a real difference.

No comments: