Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Lent

Regular readers might remember that last year, I gave up watching/reading news for Lent.  It was a difficult experience for me because I had become such a news junkie.  However, it turned out to be one of the best things I've done.  As a result of the news fast, I found myself feeling more peaceful and content.  My prediction was that I would race for the remote that Easter Sunday, but I didn't.  It was a while before I turned on the news or scoured web sites for current events.  Even now, I try to limit my exposure by watching the morning news for weather info and about 1/2 hour of evening news.  Sometimes I slip up and I pay for it - I lose that feeling of contentment.

This year I was struggling to come up with something to do.  Then, while reading some of my favorite blogs, I stumbled upon the perfect idea.  Kristi at La Bella Figura said she was joining her neighbor in the "Not a Cent for Lent" program.  That means not buying anything except essentials (i.e., gasoline, groceries, toiletries, pet food) during the six weeks of Lent.  I love this idea as it will be a sacrifice, will make me more aware of the wasteful spending I do, and make me more appreciative of my ability to purchase things on whim. 

I'd love to hear what any of my readers are doing for Lent.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm trying to decided what to do still. I don't want to effect my husband (I don't think that's fair) and I don't want to give up anything that will effect my readership (like facebook, twitter, blogging, etc). *sigh*

Cherie said...

Lisa - that's a tough one, especially if everything you do and enjoy involves your husband and/or job. Good luck! (Maybe your husband would agree to something...?)

Lisa said...

I gave up sweets with my best friend. Doing it together is nice!

My husband isn't doing lent. He has some years but not this one. :)

Also I have an award for you on my blog- http://www.retrohousewifegoesgreen.com/2010/02/i-won-three-awards.html

Cherie said...

Lisa - thank you so very much! I've gotten bogged down in *stuff* so it might be a while before I get these up on my blog.