Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Wellness Wednesday

Garden Watering
Source
Not that we need another reason to farm and garden organically, but a new study published in the Journal of Organic Systems that links the herbicide Roundup (glyphosate) to a wide variety of chronic diseases, including  autism, Alzheimer's and senile dementia, Parkinson's, multiple sclerosis, and diabetes. The study examined the correlation between the dramatic rises in these and other diseases over the past 20 years and the introduction of glyphosate in 1974. A summary of the study can be found here and the entire text of the study here

2 comments:

David said...

Cherie, pretty scary stuff for sure. There's so many things that folks consume today that who knows how it all works when mixed together. Artificial colors, flavor enhancers, preservatives, and the list goes on and on. I can't say that I'm as far along on eliminating all the unpronounceable elements in food as you and Bill are but I'm working toward that kind of existence. In all my attempts to garden through out my life time, it's always been organic although I didn't really know that's what it was. I just learned it from my Dad's farming practices way back in the 1950s and 1960s when all farmers pretty much farmed organically. Back then soil was treated much better than just something to hold up the plants. There's not a lot of life in the chemical bathed soils of today. I'm a self proclaimed Urban Farmer and have a backyard raised bed garden and two vacant lot Urban gardens. I have contracted with a friend who owns a vacant lot to keep the lot mowed for him free of charge if he doesn't spray any weed killer on it. I only want the chemical free grass from the mowing to use as mulch and compost. It's a rare commodity in urban city USA.

Have a great wellness day.

Cherie said...

David, it's always good to hear about fellow farmers/gardeners who grow food in urban settings. Keep up the good work!