Tuesday, November 25, 2014

I Am the Lorax

Source
It's that time of year when we spend one day being thankful for what we have and the very next day we're up at the crack of dawn to fight with strangers over things that we and our loved ones neither need nor want, all in the "spirit" of the holiday. 

Some people call this coming Friday "Black Friday." I prefer to call it "Buy Nothing Day." Before you rush out to buy the latest greatest thneed, think it over. Is it necessary for you or your loved one to get that item? Is it worth the damage to the planet via the consumed finite resources and associated pollution? Is it worth making retail employees miss a long holiday weekend with family? Make Buy Nothing Day into an entire season. Give the gifts of love, service, or time. 

2 comments:

David said...



Cherie, we spent the time in our Lifegroup last night discussing the things that we were thankful for. The list was endless. Thanksgiving is slowly loosing out on the commercial holiday schedule. Halloween (which I avoid and don't participate in) gets more publicity than Thanksgiving here where I live. When that sordid holiday is over the advertising goes straight to Christmas. Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays and many of my best holiday memories are from Thanksgiving. Our Black Friday now starts on Thanksgiving at 6pm. Really? Now employees have to work all Thanksgiving night and through Black Friday. When will it end. I am not a Black Friday shopper. Never was. Never will be. The whole season of commercial Christmas has morphed into a season of temple money changers, don't you think?

Have a great Thanksgiving day.

Shona~ LALA dex press said...

Interesting thing is as I was reading this while sitting at my work desk, a group of co-workers were discussing their Black Friday plans and how exited they were (and how smart they were) to use coupons for items for stores at the mall. Oh Joy!

It all makes me cringe.