Tuesday, January 22, 2013

New Class

Source
Today I'm unexpectantly starting a class on nutrition.  A few weeks ago I looked through the online offerings at Coursera and found several that I was interested in.  Two didn't have start dates and one did, so I signed up for all three thinking that the two without dates would start later in the year.  The one with a start date beings next week.  Imagine my surprise when I received an email saying one of my classes begins today!  This course is titled "Fundamentals of Human Nutrition" and the description page says that students who complete it will be able to:
  • Identify the nutrients needed by humans and explain their major functions in the body, dietary sources, and the effects of insufficient as well as excessive intakes.
  • Describe the processes of food digestion and absorption and nutrient utilization.
  • Explain the meaning of energy balance, and methods to calculate energy needs
I'm excited about this class because the professor's personal interests include vegetarianism, obesity, and nutrition for disease prevention, all areas that are of great interest to me.  I'm looking forward to learning new and important things!

No comments: