Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Bag Challenge

Earlier this week, I was in Old Navy making a couple of purchases. When I got to the checkout line, I was annoyed at myself for not bringing in one of my reusable tote bags. I saw that the store had their own bags for $.99, I decided to purchase on rather than receive yet another plastic bag. As the sales clerk was ringing up my items, I told her to put them in the bag, although I thought this was a no-brainer. She said it should be but she actually had a customer who didn't want her items in the bag and preferred they be put in a plastic bag! This led to the revelation that all the tote bags received at Old Navy come wrapped in individual plastic bags which are removed and discarded prior to being displayed.

I'm now committed to making August a no-bag month for me. I usually try to request no bag or bring my own but sometimes I forget. Or the sales clerk has already put my items in a bag and I don't protest (mainly because I've seen them discard the bag that I reject). So, I'm keeping all my bags handy and will return to my car if I forget. I'd love to have my readers take this environmental sustainability challenge and let me know how they do.

In addition, I urge everyone to send a letter to the CEO of Gap/Old Navy/Banana Republic to let him know how you feel about this wastefulness, especially in light of the fact that they take pride in their eco-friendly practices. You may contact him at: Mr. Glenn K. Murphy, Gap Inc., Two Folsom Street, San Francisco, CA 94105

No comments: