Thursday, April 9, 2009

The French Lessons Continue

This week seems to be zipping by. Yesterday I had my French lesson. I'm really enjoying the lessons and getting more out of them than I did from taking 3 years in school. I learned perfect written grammar in school but my comprehension of the spoken language was almost nonexistent. One unique thing my teacher is doing is using music to help my understanding. She has started me on the classics - Edith Piaf and Jacques Brel - and has me watch them on YouTube while reading the lyrics and focusing on certain words. Unfortunately, during our lesson, she has me sing along with her - I am definitely NOT a singer. I've branched out on my own and am now listening to Celine Dion's French-language music. It's much better than listening to language CDs where you are taught an infinite number of ways to greet people. One set of French CDs that my family and I used before our last trip to France was the funniest - most of the conversations seemed to revolve around a woman asking a man how many Euros he had and to please give all of them to her. Kind of limits the conversations you can have with the natives

.

No comments: