Saturday, January 2, 2016

Goals for 2016

notepad
Source
I try not to be a resolutions person. Instead, I try to set goals that I break down by month or by quarter. This year, my beginning goals are:

  • Only buy used clothes over the next quarter (with a few exceptions). I've been doing this for the last few months and I've gotten some really nice things at thrift and consignment shops. In fact, when I buy from a thrift store run by a nonprofit, I feel like I'm doing doubly good - refusing to participate in the international garment industry that enslaves its workers and providing funds to worthy causes.
  • Eliminate my nightly wine for 31 days, beginning on Monday. This article from MindBodyGreen convinced me to give it a try:  better health, youthful looks, restful sleep, more money - what's not to like. This is something I usually do for Lent but have decided to move it to the start of the new year.
  • Reduce some of the clutter around the house by doing a daily "toss" - find one thing a day that I don't need or want and get it out of the house. At the end of the month, I'll have reduced the amount of clutter by 31 items. Less clutter means less distraction and more room to breathe. When it comes to decluttering, PopSugar shares 12 helpful rules here. 
If you're looking for inspiration for the new year, another article on MindBodyGreen has a great list of intentions - rather than resolutions - to help you refocus your life and priorities.

1 comment:

Shona~ LALA dex press said...

Marie Kondo has a follow up book to "The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up" coming out tomorrow (on the wait list at the library). As I read through my journal and reflected on my goals for last year, I was actually pretty happy with my accomplishments and ability to pretty much stay on task throughout the year. I have decided to keep on with the same goals. p.s. they are pretty much the same as yours.

Happy New Year!