Friday, December 4, 2015

Farm Friday

In case you haven't noticed, the armchair activist is back! During the growing season I find myself uber multi-tasking, doing housework, homesteading, packing orders for delivery, doing deliveries, running errands, paying bills, updating our farm financial paperwork, etc., that I just don't have it in me to keep up with current events. Nor do I seem to have the brain capacity left to craft a decent post during much of the year. Now with the slower season, I've been able to spend time researching and writing about topics that are near and dear to my heart (although today wasn't one of those days). 

Even though things have slowed down some, I had a full week (still a little multi-tasking going on). I did a lot of cooking:
Faux po' boy with sweet potato fries plus a salad made with Tokyo bekana, sprouts, and homemade zucchini dressing

Cauliflower in tomato sauce, braised cauliflower greens, corn on the cob (from the freezer), brown rice, and quick kimchi
Plus got a few other things done:

  • Went for a nice hike at Staunton River State Park on Black Friday. Made a picnic lunch and ate it at a picnic shelter on the Staunton River while watching the squirrels play.
  • Started a short course on Coursera - Introduction to Sustainable Development with Dr. Jeffrey Sachs of Columbia University (hope to finish it this weekend).
  • Made some new recipes: faux po' boy sandwiches (using cauliflower) and crisp baked sweet potato fries
  • Set up at the farmers' market for the Holiday Market
  • Finished some hot/cold therapy bags, bookmarkers, key fobs, and greeting cards to sell at the market
  • Packed orders for delivery tomorrow
  • Bill discovered some oyster mushrooms that we picked this morning (I'm going to try to make the faux po' boy sandwich with them plus freeze some for later)
  • Blanched and froze some broccoli that wasn't quite good enough to sell
  • Had to deal with a dead refrigerator. It's 11 years old so I guess it's time. So sad that appliances don't last like they once did.

Have a great week!

No comments: