Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Wellness Wednesday

Medicals
Source
While I am not a health care professional (always need to include that disclaimer), I do know a bit about health and wellness. So one area where I steer clear of conventional medicine is over-the-counter pain relievers. Years ago I learned about the dangers of acetaminophen (Tylenol is the brand name) from a registered nurse. She told of painful deaths for people who took too much and permanently damaged their livers.  A friend in the health and wellness field also warned me that ibuprofen (Advil is one of the brands) had serious side effects. So I switched to using white willow bark when I need an anti-inflammatory. Since I'm wary of those commonly used drugs, I found this article interesting as it warns of the dangers of using them for fever, which is the body's way of fighting a disease, and it gives alternatives to treat it in a more natural way. Of course, a very high fever can cause damage and should be treated by professionals. But for common fevers, a little TLC with help from mother nature is all we need.

No comments: