Saturday, September 27, 2014

How Refreshing

Earlier this week I saw on Huffington Post that well-known actress Ali McGraw has rejected the Hollywood norm to dye her hair and has instead embraced her natural grey color. 
ali macgraw gray hair
Source
I applaud her choice for a number of reasons. First, American women have so much pressure to conform to a certain look. We're expected to remain 21 for the rest of our lives, even though men clearly don't have that pressure. I also say bravo to her decision as all of those dyes and bleaches that women put on their hair (and some men, too) are bad for their health and for the environment. Do we really know what chemicals go into those boxes? And of course I'm glad to see her do this as I made the decision a couple of years ago to stop highlighting my hair and to let the grey come in. If every woman chose to do this, our definition of beauty would change. Over the last couple of years, I've noticed that when I'm at events where the conversation is deep and the women are well educated, lots of grey hair is evident. These are women who are confident in who they are and find no need to conform to some superficial standard. Let's start a movement!

2 comments:

Laura said...

I'm with you. Stopped coloring mine over 5 years ago

Cherie said...

Laura, glad to know I have company. :) Thanks for visiting my blog - I'm going to check yours out, as well.