Thursday, June 20, 2013

Why I Keep Doing What I Do

It has been a while since I blogged about Haiti.  I can't believe it was almost 4 years ago since that first life-changing visit.  I started out as a visitor, became a child sponsor, got involved as a volunteer, and ultimately became a staff member.  Although many people understand my desire to serve the people of Haiti, I know there are plenty of others who don't.  They're usually too polite to say anything about it but I do catch them occasionally making comments about how we have hungry people here and why are we sending money overseas, yada, yada, yada.   

Karris, one of the long-term missionaries at Danita's Children (she's been there over 10 years), just posted a blog about a woman and her child that will just tear up your heart and maybe make you understand why I do what I do.  Read her post here.  

And yes, we do have hungry people here - and I do volunteer work to reach some of those people.  But the poverty in Haiti is on a whole 'nother level, something most of the poor in the US don't come anywhere near.  Instead of people asking why we help people overseas, I think we need to turn the conversation around and ask them how could we not?

No comments: