Monday, January 31, 2011

Rut or Routine

I love routine.  In fact, I often feel quite lost without a routine to follow.  The months of December and January completely threw me off my routine and I'm determined to get back on schedule.  I need to know which days I'm supposed to wash clothes, go to my yoga classes, do grocery shopping, pay bills, do volunteer work, etc.  I make sure to schedule morning and evening time:  time to journal, time for showering, time to study, time for recreational reading.  I'm just big on routine.  However, I hate getting into a rut.  Of course, the difference between rut and routine can be a fine line.  I like the structure of a schedule but it can get boring; I like to mix things up but then it throws off equilibrium. 


There are a number of ways to work new experiences into your schedule.   I think having a monthly date night, a weekly movie, a cultural excursion, or a quarterly weekend getaway is a good way to get out of a rut without completely disrupting a schedule or breaking the bank. The author Julia Cameron, who wrote The Artist's Way, recommends having artistic dates.  Even trying an out-of-town yoga studio or attending a community lecture at a nearby college or university can add some spark to your life.


This month I'm going to get back on my schedule, but also try to work little changes and treats into it as well.  Please share any rut-busting ideas you might have.


No comments: