Monday, January 10, 2011

First Quarter Goals

A few years ago I abandoned the concept of "New Year's Resolutions" and chose instead to set quarterly goals for myself.  I prefer this way of making positive changes in my life as there is much less pressure and I'm more likely to achieve smaller goals that I set and then break down into doable steps.  Here are the goals I've set for the first quarter of 2011:


1) Go vegan for 21 days (I was inspired by the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine 21-Day Vegan Kickstart).  I'm not going to be a purist as it is very difficult to eat vegan in restaurants in my community.  In fact, sometimes it's nearly impossible to be a vegetarian here as restaurants tend to think every dish needs some type of meat to make it complete.  However, when I'm at home, as I am most of the time, I'll eat a purely vegan diet and will make every attempt to do the same in restaurant,s although it may not always be possible.


2) Do Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred DVD three times a week for 30 days.  I already do yoga 3 days a week so this will give me a nice balance of aerobic exercise and stretching.


3) Take a class at a nearby women's resource center in February.  The center has some wonderful classes.  I took a networking class there last year (free!) and am looking forward to another of their classes.


4) Begin reading the Bible using a "Bible-in-a-year" book.  I have read through the New Testament in a similar manner and now want to attempt the entire Bible.


These are all simple, achievable goals that I will feel good about completing.

No comments: