Sunday, March 13, 2016

Quote for the Day

"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."
~Martin Luther King, Jr.

*As seen on Kathy Escobar's blog "The Carnival in My Head." If you're a person of faith who is tired of the same old story of patriarchy and power, I suggest you check it out. Here's an excerpt that really resonated with me:
when it comes to “the church” i think we have a really jacked up system related to power.  we have adopted the ways of the world and the methods of businesses as our central practices instead of the beatitudes. and even though a lot of people with power are taking more and more about “kingdom living”, often, they are perpetuating the same old power structures, where sexism & racism & inequality & oppression prevail.
 With the American presidential campaign really heating up right now, I decided to spend some time reading Jesus' "Sermon on the Mount." This is the very thing that Gandhi - a non-Christian - read every day. (So does Father John Dear, the amazing peace activist.) As I read through the passage, all I could do was shake my head and wonder how one can misinterpret "Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall inherit the earth." How can any Christian believe it is okay to support leaders who do anything but support peace and equality? (Obviously today's quote evolved into something more than just a quote.)

1 comment:

David said...

Cherie, our country and the whole world has derailed, that's for sure. I would agree that this political campaign has really been a bizarre experience. I know we are electing a leader of our country and not a spiritual leader but I would like to see at least some moral compass in the leader of our country. Some times I have to wonder why God continues to bless us as a nation. we seem to be on a path that ancient Israel followed a time or two. When times are good and blessings are flowing on the nation, we begin to think it wasn't because of God. If the hearts of the people of this country don't turn from there wicked ways and lean on God's understanding and wisdom again, we, as a nation, will continue to spiral downward. My prayer is for a good old fashioned revival to breakout some where and spread across the nation and world.

I've been working in the garden continuously this last week. Early morning trips have been glorious to get the garden prepared for planting. Half of the garden area is nearly ready with all five raised beds in the main garden dug and ready to plant. Now that daylight savings has taken away an hour of daylight in the early morning, I won't be able to do morning gardening for at least another month.

I hope and pray that all is well with you and Bill on the White Flint Farm. Say hi to Bill for me. Have a great day out in the garden.