Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Changes and Challenges

Random goat photo:  Me and Sheeza, one of my favorite girls
A while back, I intimated about some upcoming changes that I wasn't ready to reveal.  Well, now I'm finally able to talk.  After much careful thought and the counsel of people whom I respect, I have stepped down from my position at Danita's Children.  It was a difficult decision but the right one at the right time.  Over a decade ago, while still living in Florida, I felt a draw towards Haiti.  I just didn't know what I could do to help.  Fast forward a few years and I visited an organization that was doing something positive in a very bleak place.  After the earthquake, I made myself available to help in any way I could.  Ultimately, I became a part of the stateside-staff, directing the missions program.  After five years of involvement, I need to move on. That said, I still plan to work in the nonprofit world.  I'm looking into my options and will take my time to find the right position within the right organization.

On another note, after having come off my "buy nothing new" challenge, I'm ready for a new one. In my next challenge, "90 Things in 90 Days," I'll be focusing on eliminating some of the clutter in my house.  While I tend to pride myself in not having a lot of excess "things" in my house, clutter happens.  At first, I plan to focus on some of the items left behind by my grown children; then I'll start in on our books.  Just those two areas should keep me busy for 90 days.  And, as I've said about past challenges, maybe this one will also set me up with new habits.

1 comment:

Shona~ LALA dex press said...

WOW that's big news, but completely understandable.

90 in 90! Love it. I had a very vivid dream about letting go of stuff the other day (oh yeah, and Ryan Gosling was in it). It resulted in filling up another large sack for donations.