Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Taste of Tuesday

File:Spaghetti Squash Prepared 500.jpg
Sorry, I forgot to take photos, so I had to get one from here.
A few weeks ago I had dinner at Ruby Tuesday's with a group of friends.  I really dislike going to  such restaurants because they rarely have any vegetarian options, except for the salad bar and I don't like salad bars.  I was surprised to discover a very healthy vegetarian option that inspired the following recipe.  The original restaurant dish called for it to be topped with zucchini but they were out of zucchini so I asked that they substitute broccoli.  You can also substitute fresh mushrooms for the canned; just saute them with the onions.  I only had canned on hand so that's what I used.  This dish is low in calories and high in flavor.  Plus, it helps you get closer to your daily vegetable requirement.

Italian Spaghetti Squash
(Serves 2)

1 small spaghetti squash
1 cup marinara sauce
1 onion, chopped
1 small can sliced mushrooms, drained 
1 zucchini, sliced and steamed

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.  Cut the spaghetti squash in half, remove the seeds, place on a baking sheet, and bake for 30-40 minutes.   Saute the chopped onion in a little bit of olive oil, add the mushrooms and marinara sauce, and heat through.  Carefully remove the squash from the oven and scrape with a fork to form spaghetti-like strands.  Divide into two serving portions, then top with the chunky marinara sauce and the streamed zucchini (or you can substitute with broccoli).

Bon appetit!



No comments: