Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Lent

Source

Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday, the day that marks the beginning of the Lenten period on the Christian calendar.  Lent consists of the 40 days, plus weekends, leading up to Easter.  Many Christians take this time period to explore the meaning of sacrifice.  Many give up things like sugar and chocolate for the season.  This year Lent runs from February 22 to April 7.

Last year my Lenten vows consisted of 1) giving up wine, and donating the savings to Blood:Water Mission;  and 2) participating in "not a cent for Lent," meaning I would not buy anything except necessities.  This year "not a cent for Lent" would not really be a sacrifice for me as I've curtailed my spending since last year's spending freeze.  I love that Blood:Water Mission builds wells for people living in areas without access to clean, safe drinking water.  So this year, I'm going to again give up drinking wine and send my savings to them so that my sacrifice benefits others.

No comments: