Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Wellness Wednesday

Armchair

When it comes to being sedentary, I'm as guilty as the next person.  Being in school increases the amount of time I spend sitting as I have to do a lot of research and writing on the computer.  So, I was pleased to find these six simple tips to help decrease the amount of time spent sitting:

  1. Pace while talking on the phone
  2. Putter after eating - or take a quick walk
  3. Sit in bar seats at restaurants
  4. Stand at events rather than bringing a chair
  5. Do things in person rather than calling or emailing
  6. Have multiple work stations that force you to move your body from one place to another

Although many of these tips are applicable for people who work in an office, you can adapt these tips to your own lifestyle.  The bottom line is:  don't make life too easy.  Find creative ways to structure your life in a way that makes you get up out of your chair throughout your day.


(Photo source:  http://www.sxc.hu/photo/1131628)

1 comment:

Shona~ LALA dex press said...

My mother was shocked when she found out I didn't use Bill Pay because of paper waste. I had to explain to her that most of the utility companies are in my neighborhood so I can walk the loop (which includes the library) to pay my bills AND I get to see the employees (including a former neighbor) every month.