Saturday, March 19, 2011

Liberating

This is my second year of "Not a Cent for Lent."  Doing this means I don't spend money on anything except necessities.  While some might find this vow to be constricting and painful, I actually find it quite liberating.  During this time, my life is much more simplified as I don't have any reason to go shopping, except to purchase food and toiletries.  When I do happen to be in a position where I'm lured into believe I've just got to have something, it's easy to walk away without any deliberation.  All I need do is ask myself, "Is this something that is a necessity in my life?"  Most of the time, the answer is "No."  Thus, advertising has no hold on me at this time.  I don't spend time thinking I "need" a particular item, that it will make my life easier or better, because I have a better awareness of what is really and truly necessary.

No comments: