Monday, April 5, 2010

Not a Cent for Lent

Easter meant the end of my Lenten vow.  Yesterday, at church, our pastor asked if everyone was glad to see Lent end - he got a big "Amen" for that!  


I did pretty well with "Not a Cent for Lent."  For the most part, I avoided impulse spending and put off any nonessential purchases.  I made a couple of exceptions on eating out.  We had a delayed anniversary celebration dinner because Bill had been out of town for over a month (from prior to Ash Wednesday) and we missed our actual anniversary.  Saturday night we went out to dinner "just because" - mainly because this winter had been horrendous and hubby wanted to treat me for all my hard work.  It was a violation of my vow (ours, actually, as Bill had joined me in the Lenten vow) but I found several ways to justify it - we hadn't taken any feast days; we did have to eat, after all; and it's the day before Easter and the sun will be setting soon....The only real violation I can think of is when I ordered concert tickets without thinking.  In fact, it didn't occur to me until a week later that I had broken my vow.


My plan is to continue the mindset of no unnecessary or impulse spending.  Not only does it save time and money, but it's green, too.  I'm going to try to use up food and other products in my house before buying more.  And I'm going to try to find more green replacements once I use up food or personal care items.  Erin at The Conscious Shopper has a number of ideas for greener personal care products, including instructions on how to go "no 'poo." 

No comments: