Friday, January 15, 2010

Greening Valentine's Day

Lisa at Retro Housewife Goes Green is hosting this month's APLS Green Carnival.  The topic is how to green Valentine's Day.  How I green Valentine's day won't appeal to everyone. 

My huband and I have been married for almost 22 years (our anniversary is right after Valentine's Day).  I was fortunate to have married my best friend and the love of my life.  We not only love one another, we are still in love.  (Sorry to get so mushy!)  The first few years of our marriage, it was almost torture for my husband to find a gift for me.  He would agonize over what to get me and then run out at the last minute and *settle* on something he thought I would like.  Sorry to say, it was hit or miss.  Sometimes I liked and/or wanted the gift, other times not.  One year it dawned on me what a waste it all was.  So that year, for our Valentine's Day/anniversary, I gave him his gift ahead of time.  My gift?  I told him he was relieved of the burden of buying anything for me.  We've continued this practice for other special dates and we've never been disappointed. 

Not to say that we're Scooge's.  When one of us actually needs or wants something that is within our means, we make sure to get it (sometimes as a gift).  It just seemed that the stress and the waste was pointless.  Occasionally, we'll go out to eat but not always.  We try to focus on the relationship rather than the *stuff* and that seems to work for us.

So, our solution seems green in many ways:  there's no wrapping paper issue; no toxins used in raising flowers; no fuel consumed to ship goods; no need to worry about chocolate harvested by slave labor.  It might not work for everyone, but it works for us.

For those who feel the need to exchange gifts, I suggest a return to the 19th century tradition of exchanging handwritten notes and cards.  Those who have a sweet tooth, can bake their own treats for loved ones.  Two very green practices.

No comments: