Tuesday, September 22, 2009

A Breath of Fresh Air

Last night I attended a new book club meeting.  And what a fabulous evening I had.  Although the premise was to discuss the book we had all read, we ended up spending most of the time talking and sharing.  It was a small group, six of us, and we came from all walks of life.  But it was one of the most open, honest experiences I've had in the last few years.  The discussion touched on various aspects of our lives but the common thread was that all but one of us was fairly new to this part of the world.  We were all independent-minded women living in an ultra-conservative world.  It was one of the few times that I sensed I could honestly discuss my views without feeling that I was looked upon as someone with a third eye in the middle of my forehead.  And without fear that my house would soon be firebombed.  I'm looking forward to next month's meeting and hoping that it will continue in the same vein.  It's a pity I have to drive over an hour to attend but I'm thinking it will be well worth it.

1 comment:

mamasong said...

Sounds like a wonderful time, so glad you could share without feeling judged!