Thursday, June 4, 2009

Moving On

Last weekend was the end of an *era* for me. It was the first time in almost 4 years that I didn't have a spot at our local farmer's market. For the last three summers, I've sold handcrafted items and farm products at a spot at the market. This year, after spending the first month at my booth, I decided enough was enough. Although I've met a lot of interesting people, I came to the conclusion that most of the people in this area didn't care if their produce was fresh and free of chemicals or if I carefully selected quality materials for the handmade items I sold. It all boiled down to, "I can get it cheaper at Wal-Mart." So, I've decided to let them have Wal-Mart (this is an area where it's almost heretical to say you don't shop at Wally world).

We still provide wholesome food to friends who request it and I still have some custom orders for aprons (my specialty) and tote bags, but I've thrown in the towel on the rest. I'm going to miss seeing my fellow vendors and regular customers whom I've gotten to know. However, the bonus is that I now can sleep in on Saturday mornings!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Do you have an etsy.com site?

Cherie said...

Lisa, sorry I didn't reply sooner; I just saw your comment. Thanks for asking. My plan was to have an etsy shop but never opened it. I've decided to move on to other adventures.