Friday, July 18, 2014

Farm Friday

Delicious dish made almost entirely from food we grow
It has been a while since I last posted a "Farm Friday."  That's because, in addition to the VIP visit and our trip to do a presentation about sustainable food, we've been in the thick of the summer vegetable production.  We both get up before 7 every morning and go into the evening, usually ending our work day around 8:30.

What are we up to?  In addition to harvesting beaucoup squash, zucchini, tomatoes, onions, garlic, and beans, we've been putting up food for our personal consumption over the winter.  The freezer in our basement refrigerator is almost full.  We also get the "leftovers," that is the produce that has gotten a little too old to sell or has bad spots.  Don't feel sorry for us because we've been eating like royalty.  Some of the dishes I've made include cranberry beans (known as October beans here) with crispy sage and garlic; another dish with October beans, cherry tomatoes, garlic, and thyme; roasted squash and/or zucchini (four varieties of squash and two of zucchini); tomato salad; gazpacho; and plain old cucumbers with salt and pepper in vinegar.  Last night I made a savory summer cobbler as our main dish.  I've also been making white sandwich-style bread so that Bill can have his beloved tomato sandwiches.

I've also started preserving herbs, both to sell and for us.  I'm going to package dried herbs (and some mixes) to sell at the farmers' market - and maybe to delivery customers.  

I need to start thinking about the holiday craft shows.  I've been looking at fabric and placed an order yesterday.  These fabrics will be used for my traditional halter-style apron.  I've also come up with a half apron design that I want to start making as well.

Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

Aimee said...

Yum ! Now post the recipe to whatever that beautiful dish is you photographed! :)