Monday, September 2, 2013

September Challenges

goals affirmations wordle
Source
As promised, I came up with some new challenges for myself and am sharing them.  Sharing really helps with accountability.  Each one should affect change in a different area of my life:

Physical - 30 days of yoga
I've been a slacker in this very important practice so committing to doing it every day will help me get back into the habit.

Spiritual - Sunday as My "Fun" Day
This challenge might not seem spiritual but I find that I get overwhelmed with so much of what is happening in the world that I forget to have fun.  Not good for one's soul.  On Sundays, I'm going to just let go and not worry about anything; rather, I'll just do things that are fun, even frivolous, and suspend thinking about serious issues.

Financial - Use It Up
This is a challenge I've done before.  Instead of going out and buying new foods, toiletries, etc.  I'm going to try to use up the excess that I have in my pantry, freezer, and closets.

Environment - Turn Off the Lights
Turning on a light whenever entering a new room can become a bad habit - and it wastes energy.  Unless I actually need the light to see, I'm just not flipping the switch.  Going into the closet to grab a pair of shoes or brushing my teeth in the morning does not require that I burn a light.  

General
I'm also doing general detox and eating  only things that I know are good for me while avoiding foods that aren't beneficial.  This includes filling up on fruits, vegetables, and nuts, while avoiding dairy, eggs, sugar, wheat, corn, and alcohol.  I'll also be drinking lots of water, juice, and herbal teas, and including a green drink as part of my morning routine.  Years ago my holistic physician had me on a similar routine and I felt so much better.  I want to head into the fall full of energy and strength.

Wish me luck and keep me accountable!

3 comments:

Shona~ LALA dex press said...

I feel like I am only leaving comments with book suggestions, but over the weekend I read "The Christian Consumer" by: Laura Hartman (lots of Quaker references and discussion on John Woolman). Anyway, it's very inspirational and not heavy handed in any way.

Shona~ LALA dex press said...

Oh, and I keep meaning to do the "use it up" challenge, but then I don't. I say that will be my September challenge, although I did make a pot of "kitchen sink" soup and got the best response of anything I've cooked from my boyfriend (of 14 months- hehe).

Cherie said...

Shona, I always welcome book suggestions! Just wish I could read them all. I tend to make kitchen sink salads - I'm still a little nervous about doing a soup.