Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Taste of Tuesday

Peeled garlic cloves ready for the dehydrator
We grow a lot of garlic on the farm - and we use a lot. While I like to use fresh garlic in dishes, sometimes I'm pressed for time and reach for the powdered variety. Since we do have a lot on hand, it makes sense for me to make my own powered garlic rather than buy it. But it really is a pain to peel all those cloves because, as you can imagine, it takes a lot of dehydrated cloves to make a jar of powder.

Imagine my excitement when Bill shared Garden to Wok's technique to make cloves easier to peel. Of course, I was a bit skeptical because sometimes these kinds of tips turn out to be not true. But I went ahead and tried Norma's technique - and it worked wonderfully! Basically, you soak a batch of individual cloves in water for about five minutes. The paper skins slide off much more easily than they would without the soaking.  And so much less time involved!

Bon appetit!

No comments: